Fort Tryon Park celebrated its 85th Anniversary Year in 2020. Donations and Membership contributions to the Fort Tryon Park Trust help conserve and support our 67-acre park in many ways, leveraging funding from NYC Parks, especially as the city’s fiscal picture fluctuates and the park ages. Here are a few examples of how donor support fuels our work.
- Horticulture – The Fort Tryon Park Trust pays for dedicated staffing, supplies, equipment, and plants to complement the resources of NYC Parks and preserve the splendor of Fort Tryon Park and its gardens.
- Heather Garden – A recent Framework Plan tackles recurring soil problems, identifying ways to open up and frame views, expand existing perennial groupings, and incorporate small shrubs at key locations to create more structure and cohesion. The approach will help minimize ongoing maintenance of the garden and preserve its romantic feel and otherworldly aura.
- Alpine Garden – The Trust reclaimed the historic Alpine Garden along the slopes that cascade from The Met Cloisters to Broadway, reinstating water service, installing thousands of plants, and revealing historic foot path staircases, creating a magical experience for the park visitor.
- American Elms – We protect the park’s 48, 100+-year-old historic trees from Dutch elm disease with a biennial inoculation treatment schedule. This costs $48k/year and is entirely funded with private donations.
- Stone Walls – The Trust started the “Fortify the Fort” fundraising campaign to provide funding for restoration of several sections of the park’s 9 miles of historic and aging stone wall infrastructure.
- Playground Reconstruction – The Trust contributed $350,000 toward reconstructing Jacob K. Javits Playground (full cost: $3.1M). Javits hadn’t been renovated for over 25 years and work could not start without the private funding from our supporters.
- Volunteers/Park Stewardship – We support approximately 4,000 volunteer hours each year, including individuals, gardening committees, and large corporate groups.
- Public Programming – We transform the park into an arts venue, a natural classroom, and an outdoor gym through 300 dynamic, free, year-round programs for adults and children. These include performances such as Marjorie Eliot’s Jazz Ensemble and Scandia Symphony concerts, festivals like the Shearing of the Heather, Harvest Festival, Urban Wildlife Festival, and Medieval Festival. The Trust offers naturalist tours and events, informing park visitors of the abundant flora, fauna, and geology of Fort Tryon Park and beyond, as well as historical programs about its role during New York City’s revolutionary, estate, and WPA eras. We help park visitors get fit at the fort through Sunset Yoga, Parent & Me Yoga, Tai Chi, and Morning Fitness programs.
- Broadway Promenade – NYC Parks has helped us restore the landscape along the park perimeter and adjacent slopes.
- Sir William’s Dog Run – We provide Stewardship Days, maintenance, and upgrades to Manhattan’s largest dog run.
- Medieval Festival – The Trust supports this popular annual event in the fall.
- Cabrini Woods – Via their public-private partnership, the Fort Tryon Park Trust and NYC Parks restored large sections of the former entrance area to the Billings Estate along the southwest quadrant of the park. Interpretive signage, fence upgrades, children’s educational materials, and guided naturalist tours have been held to complement NYC’s $900,000 restoration.
Help sustain this 67-acre, 85-year-old Scenic Landmark and consider making a donation of any amount right now! We rely on contributions from our local community and all visitors to preserve and enhance Fort Tryon Park, which will help sustain the park as a regional natural treasure for years to come.
You can support the park and honor a loved one by dedicating a tree or landscaped section of the park. You may also adopt a bench to commemorate a special event, or to give a unique gift. A tree, landscape, or bench dedication endows a bench or section of the park for the long term and ensures that it receives ongoing upkeep.
A large donation to the park could transform or restore vistas and stone walls, and provide more safe and clean areas. To learn more about giving opportunities, please contact Executive Director Jennifer M. Hoppa at (212) 795-1388 ext 301 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Your contribution is tax deductible within the limits prescribed by law.
City Parks Foundation is the fiscal sponsor for the Fort Tryon Park Trust and the nonprofit partner of NYC Parks. A copy of the foundation’s latest annual report can be obtained from Office of the Attorney General, NYS Department of Law, Charities Bureau, New York, NY 10271, or by phone at (212) 360-1399.
If you prefer to make your contribution by mail, please make checks payable to City Parks Foundation and write “Fort Tryon Park Trust” on the memo line:
Fort Tryon Park Trust
P.O. Box 1044
Fort George Station
New York, NY 10040
Thank you for your support in sustaining our beloved landscape!