Fort Tryon Park Trust Friends Committee
The Friends Committee is a group of local individuals which aims to involve the entire community surrounding the park in maintaining and improving the park’s appearance and condition, and promoting its constructive use by the public. The Friends’ structure and programs are designed to achieve these goals in partnership with other local civic groups.
The Friends Committee serves as an important vehicle to solicit community input on a broad spectrum of park related issues. We convene forums to evaluate park needs, prioritize capital projects, and develop fun and accessible public programs.
Over the last several seasons, the Friends Committee has underwritten hundreds of free fitness programs. Year round, folks get and stay in shape at our Fitness Walking programs. In summer and fall, we’ve offered Sunset Yoga, Sunrise Tai Chi, Autumn Tai Chi, and, new in 2009, Qi Gong.
Recently Nature Adventures for Kids, a free program for children ages 4 to 6, was developed in collaboration with our Friends Committee. These hands-on programs included such kid favorites as What Dinosaurs Ate in the Park and Lovely Ladybugs.
2014 Beautification Days
- June 29 – Painting & General Clean Up
- July 27 – Beautification Event
- Aug. 17 – Beautification Event
- Sep. 14 – Beautification Event
- Oct. 26 – Fall It’s My Park Day – Spring Planting
- Nov. 2 – Rain date for Fall It’s My Park Day
Time: 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Check in at the Friends Committee table at the Margaret Corbin Circle entrance to the Heather Garden
Wear long pants and sturdy shoes and join the Friends Committee of the Fort Tryon Park Trust in our monthly beautification days. Activities include some or all of the following: painting, planting preparations, planting, weeding, and more!
Currently, the Friends are offering the following volunteer opportunities:
- Provide Visitor Information services
- Act as Community Liaison to the Parks Department
- Translate Fort Tryon Park Trust publications such as The Gazette and Discover the Treasures of Fort Tryon Park brochure into Spanish.
- Help to plan a four season MP3 tour of the Heather Garden
- Help write our quarterly newsletter, The Gazette
- Help plan, execute, photograph our park events
The Friends Committee serves as the advocacy arm of the Fort Tryon Park Trust and all our events and activities are designed to enhance and promote our landmarked treasure. New Friends are always welcome. Learn more about our volunteer opportunities.